PDA

View Full Version : Rare JIMI throttle bracket

neiljones308
12th January 2012, 10:32 PM
Jimi Throttle bracket.....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250969378820

jimi
12th January 2012, 11:27 PM
I wouldn't call them "rare" ;) I still make them :)

neiljones308
13th January 2012, 12:07 AM
I should have put 'very desirable' ;0) Good Work Jimi. I never see them for sale on ebay.

jimi
13th January 2012, 12:27 AM
:thumbup: I like that
I don't sell them on ebay or advertise, never have, it's all word of mouth or by recommendation. This article explains all :) http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jimilawson/Various/bracket/Jimi%20Bracket.html

superwhite90
13th January 2012, 09:15 AM
How much do you sell them for Jimi?

Donna
15th January 2012, 02:09 AM
How much do you sell them for Jimi?

Im sure mine was £15 or less posted from Jimi new

Fantastic piece of kit, PM Jimi, i recieved mine within days of ordering

superwhite90
22nd January 2012, 10:24 PM
£30???? Come on Neil, I bought mine for about £15 - bit harsh against Jimi ain't it?

neiljones308
23rd January 2012, 12:05 AM
Hi Superwhite,
I put the jimi on ebay for £15. I can't help it if people bid it to £30. To be honest, had no idea how much they cost.

jimi
23rd January 2012, 01:44 AM
Hi Superwhite,
I put the jimi on ebay for £15. I can't help it if people bid it to £30. To be honest, had no idea how much they cost.
Nothing wrong with that Neil, if someone wants to pay that for one of my brackets it's up to them.
It does illustrate why I don't sell them on ebay and don't sell them in bulk to anyone. The whole idea of me making the brackets was to make them them available to MK1 owners as cheap as I could, my way of putting something back into the MK1 community. Here's a quote from the article I wrote a couple of years ago for the MR2Only magazine

Making the brackets is basically a non-profit making hobby, enabling me to keep the price down to the bare minimum, just enough to recover my initial outlay and postage costs.
I've never advertised or actively pushed the brackets, news of them has spread by word of mouth.and this article leading to people contacting me asking for one.
I don't sell them in bulk because I don't want anyone profiteering on them, that would kind of defeat my intentions with them, which is to make an affordable, effective mod available to the MK1 community.
The full article is on my website CLICKY (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/jimilawson/Various/bracket/Jimi%20Bracket.html) There's nearly 250 of them out there worldwide in over 8 countries, my ambition is to sell one to someone in Japan, that would be the icing on the cake :D

neiljones308
23rd January 2012, 10:47 AM
Hi Jimi,
Thanks for your support. It just goes to show how sought after they are.
I have sent an email to your email address.
Many thanks, Neil

Master-B
5th August 2012, 09:36 PM
Hi Superwhite,

No you cant help what people bid on ebay, but you can help the prices on your "offer" emailed tonight. Come on Neil, this is a blatant rip off.

To:
Sent: Sunday, 5 August 2012, 20:23
Subject: Toyota MR2 Mk1 New upgrade + spare parts

Hi,

I have just got hold of a couple of 'jimi' throttle brackets.
They are brushed stainless steel just like the valley cover plates i also sell.
They are like new. Priced at £29.99 plus £3 UK P&P, or £5 Europe shipping, or £7 worldwide shipping.
The 'jimi' backet is a highly sought after item as it tidies up the engine bay, and also gives better throttle responce.
If you want the matching stainless steel valley plate, which is usually £19.99 plus postage, you can have it for £16 including postage, if bought at the same time as the throttle bracket.
Please visit my website below http://mk1mr2.webs.com for more pictures of both of these items.
Here is also a link to an MR2 on you tube fitted with the S/S valley cover, and 'Jimi' bracket........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gN8eEhnaSU

Kind Regards, Neil

Please visit my website... http://mk1mr2.webs.com for more mk1 Mr2 spares, you can also join as a member for free, and put a picture of your MR2 on there..

If you want to pay for parts, please paypal the money to ****@*****.
Any problems, please ring me on 07903****** between 8am~8pm.
Cheques/postal orders to be sent to......

Neil Jones,
D***********,
C********,
L******,
C*****,
S*****
UK

neiljones308
5th August 2012, 10:08 PM
I think i saw someone had put one on ebay the other day for £38 plus postage.

Master-B
5th August 2012, 10:20 PM
I think i saw someone had put one on ebay the other day for £38 plus postage.

Its hardly a good reason to knowingly charge over the odds. Your last defence was you didnt know how much Jimi sold them for, inferring that if you did, you wouldnt charge as much

Its a used part, if new they are £15, do you think it is fair to sell them for £30+?

Im all for people making a bit of money on the side, but your pricing on this particular item is extortionate.

Incidentally, I think the prices you are asking for the panels & seats tonight are fair, so it shows you can do it!

charged
6th August 2012, 08:11 AM
Its hardly a good reason to knowingly charge over the odds. Your last defence was you didnt know how much Jimi sold them for, inferring that if you did, you wouldnt charge as much

Its a used part, if new they are £15, do you think it is fair to sell them for £30+?

Im all for people making a bit of money on the side, but your pricing on this particular item is extortionate.

I'm 100% in agreement.

Not only that, perhaps such an established trader should be paying to trade so the club see some benefit.

Kateg28
6th August 2012, 08:25 AM
I have one that I cannot use now. I bought it to put on my Mica Blue and then sold the car forgetting the bracket was on my sideboard. Now I have the Supercharger it doesn't fit.

Not really sure what to do with it now.....

I might just keep it as a bit of automotive art!

Master-B
6th August 2012, 09:11 AM
I'm 100% in agreement.

Not only that, perhaps such an established trader should be paying to trade so the club see some benefit.

I actually plan on raising this at the AGM mate, we should be offering traders like neil affiliation in exchange for a listing fee, agreed price list for parts to try & add value to the membership base. Im not sure the affiliates list is actually reviewed/tendered - but prepared to be put right on this on Sunday :-D

BARNEY
6th August 2012, 10:31 AM
Ive bought plenty of good quality parts from Neil at reasonable prices. I'm sure he had good intentions with this offer.

Master-B
6th August 2012, 10:42 AM
Ive bought plenty of good quality parts from Neil at reasonable prices. I'm sure he had good intentions with this offer.

Same here - Ive had a few things from Neil for agreeable prices, packed well & delivered quickly & I believe that the club is better for having him & his stock of 20+ scrappers available to us.

I think his intentions in January were fair, this time round I dont think there is a justifiable reason to ask £33+ delivered for a used part as he knows now that is a 120% mark up, which is why I resurrected this thread.

neiljones308
6th August 2012, 09:23 PM
I feel i should justify myself here.
Every time i put one of these one ebay, it makes over £30 plus postage. One was put on ebay by someone else a few weeks ago for over £38 plus postage, and one sold yesterday with someone else for £29.67.
I did not offer this directly to the club, as i have already been told that they are still available. I just emailed some of the people on my mailing list of previous customers, to see if they wanted it first, before i put it on ebay, where i know it will probably sell for £30 even if i put it on with a starting bid of 99p (like the one that sold yesterday).
Please cut me some slack here. If i can sell this for what market forces have dictated the price to be, then i will, then i can sell other parts cheaper to get the same end result for the complete car, and make it still worth my while. I don't come across these brackets very often, and i always try to sell parts for a sensible amount. I don't want anyone on here to buy it if they can get it cheaper.
I am not in this for a fast buck (spending hours outside in the rain wind and snow lying under a MR2 taking parts off for people is not the easiest way earn a bit of spare cash). I have never sent any MR2 to the scrap yard, and i have now got 23 here including one i have had for about 16 years.
All the best everyone, Neil

superwhite90
6th August 2012, 09:45 PM
I agree with Kris and Ollie - put my name down at the AGM meet regarding this issue, apologies for not in attendance, but i'm getting sick of seeing things like headlight eyebrows up for £38, granted that's not you Neil, but Paul Sims is just following suit and hiking the price of spares up, which makes it quite off putting for potential mk1 owners.

charged
7th August 2012, 08:15 AM
I feel i should justify myself here.
Every time i put one of these one ebay, it makes over £30 plus postage. One was put on ebay by someone else a few weeks ago for over £38 plus postage, and one sold yesterday with someone else for £29.67.
I did not offer this directly to the club, as i have already been told that they are still available. I just emailed some of the people on my mailing list of previous customers, to see if they wanted it first, before i put it on ebay, where i know it will probably sell for £30 even if i put it on with a starting bid of 99p (like the one that sold yesterday).
Please cut me some slack here. If i can sell this for what market forces have dictated the price to be, then i will, then i can sell other parts cheaper to get the same end result for the complete car, and make it still worth my while. I don't come across these brackets very often, and i always try to sell parts for a sensible amount. I don't want anyone on here to buy it if they can get it cheaper.
I am not in this for a fast buck (spending hours outside in the rain wind and snow lying under a MR2 taking parts off for people is not the easiest way earn a bit of spare cash). I have never sent any MR2 to the scrap yard, and i have now got 23 here including one i have had for about 16 years.
All the best everyone, Neil

Becoming a paid trader would go along way to appeasing people like me and Alex and the other chap who has posted, but not with the Jimi Bracket, there is no justification for over pricing a second hand item which a very well known and respected club members designed and sells himself. How would you feel if you desiged a unique item for a small community only for someone to come along and sell second hand units at twice the price?

Also, I'd like to point out that you are selling parts that others would likely give away for free, IF they got a chance to respond to the wanted posts before you or the other chap gets there. I've got no problem with someone doing this and making money, I've done it myself for a bit of pocket change but if I was doing at this level, I'd be a paid up trader and I therefore would not be exploiting the club or it's members.

tommundy
7th August 2012, 09:37 AM
The current affiliate scheme is £10 per annum. I think that if a 'trader' scheme was setup, where traders can actively post replies (as Neil and Paul do currently) rather than having a passive advert, the price should be quite a bit more to be honest. This will be discussed at the AGM at the weekend and hopefully we will have something in place in the following weeks. I will be contacting both Paul and Neil with the decisions that come out of the AGM.

I personally think that the Jimi bracket situation is taking advantage of something that was created by a long standing member of the Mk1 community and shouldn't continue. I don't know if a more realistic deal can be set up between Jimi and distributors at a fixed and realistic price. This would go some way to appeasing peoples' feelings.

Cheers,
Tom

charged
7th August 2012, 10:10 AM
Spot on Tom, glad it's not just me.

jimi
7th August 2012, 02:50 PM
I personally think that the Jimi bracket situation is taking advantage of something that was created by a long standing member of the Mk1 community and shouldn't continue. I don't know if a more realistic deal can be set up between Jimi and distributors at a fixed and realistic price. This would go some way to appeasing peoples' feelings.
Cheers,
Tom

I don't have any distributors and I don't advertise or sell my brackets anywhere, it's all done by word of mouth and email. I have always done it this way for one simple reason. I don't make any profit from the brackets, I never have done and never wanted to ! and I certainly don't want anyone else making money from them. As I said earlier in this thread

The whole idea of me making the brackets was to make them them available to MK1 owners as cheap as I could, my way of putting something back into the MK1 community.
The price covers what it costs me to make and post a bracket, they all cost the same price even the customised ones. Since I started making them around 7 years ago the price has increased from £12 to £15 which is purely due to increased postal costs.
Now I don't like people on eBay paying ridiculous sums of money for one of my brackets, I hate it, it makes a mockery of my reasons for making them in the first place :mad:
Unfortunately I can't do anything about it, other than trying to make people aware that they can still buy a brand new one for a fixed and realistic price of £15. The only way that price will increase (it can't decrease as I can't make them any cheaper) is down to increases in postage and/or material costs.
Just to be clear on this
I'm not happy about the current situation regarding the SILLY money being paid for 2nd hand examples of my bracket, but there's nothing I can do about it, if I advertise them (on ebay or elsewhere) it costs money, which either comes out of my pocket or I have to put the price of the brackets up to cover the cost, if I stop making them, the price will increase ............ catch 22 !! either way MK1 owners who would like a bracket end up paying more than they should .......... not something I ever wanted to see happening :(
Jimi

charged
7th August 2012, 03:25 PM
You're a good man Jimi. I'm sorry if I appear to be answering on your behalf in this thread, I think you are a nice fella and didn't want to see you being taken for granted. I'm glad you have made your feelings clear.
Keep up the good work though, the Mk1 community is behind you.

superwhite90
7th August 2012, 06:11 PM
The only way of stopping them selling Jimi's brackets is by Jimi applying for the patten and copyright, but that is bloody expensive and probably wouldn't stop them either :(

superwhite90
7th August 2012, 06:13 PM
I've got a load of stuff that I just need to get rid of - as long as the postage is covered its free to go where ever :)

Spikeyray
1st September 2012, 07:36 AM
Hi Jimi
I'm sure these brackets are in short supply as you hand make every one, but any chance of getting my name down for one please?

Many thanks i advance.

Ray

jimi
1st September 2012, 09:54 AM
They are not really in short supply, but I work offshore 3 weeks out of 6 so there can be a delay in them being ready. PM or email me and I'll sort you out when I'm home next week