PDA

View Full Version : 4th February Meet for Essex/Herts (and AndyJ!)

Kateg28
12th January 2012, 12:51 PM
This date has been mooted so thought I would publicise it.

On Saturday 4th February we shall be meeting at 1p.m. in the car park of the Tower Arms in North Weald

http://towerarms.co.uk/

(unless someone has a burning passion to find another venue). People outside of Herts and Essex also very welcome

Put your names up, (MR2 ownership not mandatory), we even allow Mk2's and Mk3's if they want......

1) Kate
2)
3)
4)
5)
63)
64)
(I can be optimistic)

Now over to others to ensure I am not a lonely person in the car park......

charged
12th January 2012, 03:15 PM
I'll try and make it Kate, work permitting although I could try and put it through as a work event I guess ; )

Kateg28
12th January 2012, 04:01 PM
Ollie,

I think you need to inspect my car as part of your ongoing 'Know your Client Policy'. I am sure it is in ICOBS.......

K

superwhite90
12th January 2012, 04:12 PM
My car is running okay (touch wood), apart from my speedo cable coming loose this morning and causing me to idle at 3k RPM! But I still can't risk it and haven't got a spare car to attend in either.

Will you do an April meet? I'll be coming to that

charged
12th January 2012, 04:45 PM
Ollie,

I think you need to inspect my car as part of your ongoing 'Know your Client Policy'. I am sure it is in ICOBS.......

K

Ha ha, after sales not really my forte but I will see what I can do : )

charged
12th January 2012, 04:53 PM
Ollie,

K

Ha ha, after sales not really my forte but I will see what I can do : )

unowho
12th January 2012, 05:14 PM
Well weather permitting, I should make this one

1) Kate
2) Debs (in my Mk2 :eek:)
3)
4)
5)

andyj
12th January 2012, 06:15 PM
Thanks for including me in the title Kate.

I'm not sure whether I can be there. I have to take my son back to uni. (Portsmouth) around that time. Also, was sort of hoping I might next time come in my MR2 and think I'll put that back on the road March onwards. So will let you know but list remains for now...

1) Kate
2) Debs (in my Mk2 )
3)
4)
5)

daddy dog
12th January 2012, 06:45 PM
1) Kate
2) Debs (in my Mk2 )
3) barry (daddydog) i hope to be there this time
4)
5)

EppingMk1SC
12th January 2012, 08:35 PM
Kate, if I'm around, I'll be there.

The tower arms is in South Weald btw, North Weald is the other side of Epping about 20 miles away!

rymixxx
13th January 2012, 06:57 PM
I'll be there. No MR2 but a Ford Focus or, if you're really lucky, a Nissan Primera. I spoil you :)

Kateg28
13th January 2012, 07:01 PM
Ok Ambassador, you are spoiling us. No worries about the car, just nice to meet enthusiasts. You can see how mine compares to your old one!

EppingMk1SC
13th January 2012, 09:25 PM
Great, see you all there, 4th Feb at the Tower Arms , South Weald...indoors if it's -4 though

superwhite90
13th January 2012, 09:46 PM
Oh you can't be serious about Mk2 or Mk3's coming along as well? This is the MK1 club, does the MK1 give it away?

When I went to the IMOC Essex meets the Mk2 owners just used to not give a flying f*ck about the mk1 owners and it'd ruin it.

rymixxx
13th January 2012, 10:18 PM
Dude, I don't think the types you're referring to would come to a Mk1 meet anyway. I know what you mean though. The few IMOC meets I've been to in the past were rather...divisive. I have nothing against Mk2s or their owners at all, but it is depressing being the only one there who gives a damn about Mk1s.

Kateg28
13th January 2012, 10:43 PM
I will not exclude anyone just because they have a mk2 but it is only advertised on here anyway. A MK2 owner would only know about either by personal invitation from one of us or because they read this site (which implies an interest). And if a few turn out then they would be in the minority anyway (for a change)

The South East Mk2 lot on the OC have always been very friendly to me and were very excited when I bought my current car and pour all over it when I go to the MR2OC meets and are genuinely interested. I find IMOC possibly less friendly as a generalisation with a few exceptions.

Debs who is the events organiser for the MK1 club has a MK2 and is very very welcome.

I will not discriminate against anyone just because they have poor taste in MR2's ....

Kateg28
13th January 2012, 10:47 PM
1) Kate
2) Debs (in my Mk2 )
4) AndyJ possibly
4) Paul (EppingMK1SC)
5) Steve (Rymixxx)
6) Ollie (Charged)........!!!!!

Have I got that right? Any more?

EppingMk1SC
13th January 2012, 10:57 PM
Fingers crossed x Steve, you get the Subaru blue mk1! Then there'll be a majority of mk1's, but agree that mk1 fans are all cool to come in whatever car they have on the road. More the nerdier. (merrier) ;)

CecilWard
14th January 2012, 07:06 AM
I will not discriminate against anyone just because they have poor taste in MR2's ....

V funny. :-) just my feelings exactly. We can't all be perfect.

Deadly_smell
14th January 2012, 09:09 AM
I'm maybe available to come along again. Work dependant.
Malc

Kateg28
14th January 2012, 12:22 PM
Yey! Keep em coming folks.

1) Kate
2) Debs (in my Mk2 )
4) AndyJ possibly
4) Paul (EppingMK1SC)
5) Steve (Rymixxx)
7) Malc (Deadly Smell)

andyj
14th January 2012, 07:21 PM
I will not exclude anyone just because they have a mk2 but it is only advertised on here anyway. A MK2 owner would only know about either by personal invitation from one of us or because they read this site (which implies an interest). And if a few turn out then they would be in the minority anyway (for a change)

The South East Mk2 lot on the OC have always been very friendly to me and were very excited when I bought my current car and pour all over it when I go to the MR2OC meets and are genuinely interested. I find IMOC possibly less friendly as a generalisation with a few exceptions.

Debs who is the events organiser for the MK1 club has a MK2 and is very very welcome.

Deb's (unowho) Mark 2 has been part of the Mark 1 Club SE scene for years. Before she had it ...I owned it. It provides an interesting comparison regarding the Mark1's evolution as it's totally standard (except clear lenses!) and immaculate.

More importantly ...she's a great laugh!

List remains...

1) Kate
2) Debs (in my Mk2 )
4) AndyJ possibly
4) Paul (EppingMK1SC)
5) Steve (Rymixxx)
7) Malc (Deadly Smell)

Alan SE
16th January 2012, 08:46 PM
Hi
Really pleased that you have started organising local events between you all.
Well done and keep up the good work!
Alan

18th January 2012, 11:26 PM
Hoping to attend, as I'll be travelling from Mill Hill to Cambridge = simple detour. But I'll only have the SE if both days are looking decent weather-wise.

(I know: what a wimp).

EppingMk1SC
18th January 2012, 11:41 PM
Hoping to attend, as I'll be travelling from Mill Hill to Cambridge = simple detour. But I'll only have the SE if both days are looking decent weather-wise.

(I know: what a wimp).

You said it. Whilst I totally believe we have to look after these special cars, the odd spot of rain will not really make that much difference. Honest. So bring it out to play, please?

Kateg28
19th January 2012, 09:00 AM
So bring it out to play, please?

You know you want to....

23rd January 2012, 06:40 PM
Oops

23rd January 2012, 06:48 PM
You said it. Whilst I totally believe we have to look after these special cars, the odd spot of rain will not really make that much difference. Honest. So bring it out to play, please?

:D

Well, as the date for knocking down and replacing the garage has been brought forward to 1st Feb, it will be on the drive for a month anyway. So OVU'll be there, too.

Kateg28
23rd January 2012, 09:50 PM
Yey! Am looking forward to this!

2nd February 2012, 12:06 PM
:D

Well, as the date for knocking down and replacing the garage has been brought forward to 1st Feb, it will be on the drive for a month anyway. So OVU'll be there, too.

Change of plan. Extra chores at the weekend mean that I (and OVU) won't be able to make it. :(

So I'll just have to look forward to seeing the photos...

EppingMk1SC
2nd February 2012, 12:13 PM
I'm just praying that the weather doesn't intervene and stop any of us from coming. Not sure I want to be out and about if there is snow on the ground. Fingers crossed!

Kateg28
2nd February 2012, 03:11 PM
I agree that a fabulous route would have a completely different slant on it if there is snow about as it becomes a stressful drive (I have spun my previous MR2 in the snow and I was doing about 20, I was not d1cking about in it).

If everyone keeps an eye on this thread in the morning and we try and post if we are going or not.

Lets hope it is not too bad to attend.

rymixxx
2nd February 2012, 07:50 PM
Watching this thread...

But surely you have to LOVE driving these cars in the snow? I remember once (I was young and impressionable) asking two strangers to push me out of an icy car park because it just wasn't possible to get traction by myself. I drove home along a B-road at SILLY speeds, by which I mean sometimes but almost never ABOVE 15mph, and never with all four wheels pointing the same way. I was overtaken by everything else on the road, but it was the greatest laugh. I don't want to bend my current car, but what can I say about the impetuousness of youth?

Kateg28
2nd February 2012, 08:33 PM
I don't disagree but the thought of bending my car sends me into utter panic.

That sort of driving can be a hoot but I would rather do it in a car I care less about. Anyway, according to my Apple product it won't snow until Sunday and we all know that Apple is in charge so it won't snow on Saturday!

Kateg28
2nd February 2012, 08:34 PM
Edited as double post.

And this is on a desktop PC not a mobile device. I must be rubbish!

Deadly_smell
2nd February 2012, 08:38 PM
I know where your coming from, I have driven my 2 on all snow we have had in the lasrt couple of years, I can remeber one particular morning driving along a snow covered A127 with the rear wheels spining and the back stepping out at 30 mph in heavy traffic when nobody else in their front wheel drive bore mobile appeared to any problem. Just adds character.
It deep snow the front chin spoiler makes a great plough.

rymixxx
2nd February 2012, 08:58 PM
Frankly, when I was young and I lived with my parents, no responsibilities and no real expenses, the thought of a minor prang due to slippery-slidiness didn't terrify me too much. Now I have a very different outlook on life. However, I'd still go out in the snow, LSD or not, just for the giggles.

I remember filling my boot with bags of shale then going out for a completely unnecessary 30-mile drive along, well, the roads I'll be taking on Saturday actually. The purpose of the shale was two-fold: additional weight and in case I got stuck somewhere and needed something to grip on.

If we get any snow, I'll report back here after I've twisted my car around a tree in an ego-inspired jaunt down memory lane.

unowho
2nd February 2012, 10:26 PM
Sorry guys, not sure I'm going to be able to make this now either :-(

andyj
3rd February 2012, 08:58 AM
Just to confirm, no I won't be able to come up. As you know it's long trip for me and conditions aren't right.

daddy dog
3rd February 2012, 01:49 PM
this is how it starts just before it gets called off. conditions not right hahaha, we live in the uk when are the conditions right?

Kateg28
3rd February 2012, 04:17 PM
Conditions not right when there is serious risks to my car. Just seems daft and there is always another time.

Anyhow, not called off. I am just saying that in the event of bad weather conditions, Check on here.
I am fully intending to go especially as it looks like Sunday before we see any snow, if we see any.

For the record, I am sensitive to bad weather as my OH had his car written off two weeks ago due to someone else not driving to the conditions (torrential rain). Damned lucky no injuries as his car was destroyed.

daddy dog
3rd February 2012, 06:50 PM
they do say snow saturday night/ sunday morning so the conditions look good to me , but like you say if it was snowing then i would not bother going, not worth the risk,but like i say it would have to be snowing to stop me taking the bad boy out after all i did not buy it to store in a garage.

EppingMk1SC
3rd February 2012, 07:32 PM
I'll head out if its not snowing, but will check here in the morning to make sure I won't be in a car park on my own!

Alan SE
4th February 2012, 10:17 AM
Are you still on for today? Will Irvine and myself are meeting first, then planning to come over to join you.
We'll be leaving by 11.30am so if you're looking please add a post.

daddy dog
4th February 2012, 10:42 AM
there is a light dusting on the car but i am still coming if others are?

Kateg28
4th February 2012, 11:08 AM
Am still coming!

Alan SE
4th February 2012, 11:16 AM
Good oh,
See you later then.
Look out for two red one's arriving together, Wills is an SC Auto.

EppingMk1SC
4th February 2012, 11:52 AM
Leaving shortly, see you after 12.30 pm

rymixxx
4th February 2012, 12:02 PM
I'll be there.

EppingMk1SC
4th February 2012, 12:31 PM
Only just spotted it's 1pm and not 12.30! Doh!

EppingMk1SC
4th February 2012, 04:26 PM
So, the predicted avalanche of snow never materialised, and a band of hardy Mk1 owners braved the freezing temperatures and travelled the length and breadth of the country (well Essex, Herts and Kent) to meet up again at the Tower Arms in South Weald.

Representing a massive 100% increase in AW11s from the New Year meet, we had a good mix of SC and NA, t-bar, sunroof and tintop models. Good to meet some more faces, and hope to do it again soon. The venue is a good one, and here's hoping we are still turning up when one day the sun comes out...

Photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/widnes_road/sets/72157627659925518/

daddy dog
4th February 2012, 08:29 PM
good to put some faces with names, lets hope we get a few more next time.

rymixxx
5th February 2012, 07:54 AM
Yes, it was good to meet you. Looking forward to next time!

Kateg28
5th February 2012, 08:01 AM
Lovely to meet you all/see you again.

Got home, changed cars, picked teenager up and got back home as the first flakes were falling. Perfect timing.

I think we should organise another one for April!

MRluke
6th February 2012, 11:21 AM
Damn I missed it.

Oh well, ill see you all at the next one :)

superwhite90
6th February 2012, 12:12 PM
I'm hoping to have engine transplant started and finished on last weekend in March, so I will be available for first week in April if you have one then. The car will be a state, bodywork wise, but fresh engine, flywheel & brakes, so it'll be a flying machine once more.

Kateg28
6th February 2012, 01:16 PM
Any date suggestions? If someone suggests any good dates, i can start a thread up again.

superwhite90
6th February 2012, 03:33 PM
7th or 8th? Obviously as long as I haven't got any issues

charged
7th February 2012, 11:17 AM
Apologies I didn't make it.

Kateg28
7th February 2012, 01:08 PM
Ollie, you didn't miss much.

Just a fun drive to a delightful location and viewing some lovely cars with some very good company and some pleasant conversation.

Wish I had stayed at home and watched the Eastenders omnibus really.

Maybe you might join us at the next one?

charged
7th February 2012, 04:50 PM
Maybe you might join us at the next one?

Indeed.

I do have a very valid excuse for not attending but not one I will be posting up!

superwhite90
16th February 2012, 04:32 PM
I have just bought an Astra so I might come along in that.