PDA

View Full Version : Mk1b on Autotrader

rymixxx
3rd January 2012, 01:39 PM
Does anyone know anything about this car?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201152438368014/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/mr2/make/toyota/quicksearch/true/radius/1501/page/2/postcode/cm14ue?logcode=p

Looks tight from the pics. I contacted the dealer but I just got the usual guff. He did say, though, that he can't find any rust around the wheel arches or on the sills.

I'm looking for a tidy Mk1b for a turbo/v6 engine swap with Woodsport.

Cheers,
Steve

superwhite90
3rd January 2012, 04:56 PM
Go and have a look at it.

Its got mk1a seats for a start, the 'TOYOTA' sticker is missing off of the front bumper and the screaming eagle sticker is missing off of the rear bumper.

Seems too cheap for something that has no rust on the arches and sills.

charged
3rd January 2012, 05:03 PM
1a seats are probably explained by the leaky t bar destroying the original seats

superwhite90
3rd January 2012, 07:19 PM
I'd go and have a look myself as I realise I'm not too far away from you or the car, but I'm not making any out of the way trips as my car is poorly.

The best thing to get would be a car with mint arches and body, but a dead/dying engine.

rymixxx
3rd January 2012, 08:01 PM
Cheers Super. I had noticed the seats. It clearly didn't come out of the factory like that. Also I don't really want a t-bar but would be willing to compromise if it turns out this machine is tidy. The thing that makes me curious is that this is with a dealer. They probably don't know much about Mk1s, so if the bodywork is mint they wouldn't know where to pitch it. I'm up in Colchester next week. I'll take a detour on the way home and check it out.

EppingMk1SC
3rd January 2012, 08:28 PM
Hi there, i'm fairly local to you, shame its in Clacton, which is a shlep. I glanced over it on Autotrader and thought it looked a bit iffy at first glance. It's been resprayed, or from the lack of badges (boot, bumpers, triple stripe trim) it certainly looks like it has. The seats are from a mk1a as others have mentioned which doesn't bode well to it not having been 'Mucked about with' and why would you put red seats in a blue car!!!!

But to be honest there is no substitute to going to look over it, in good light, and old clothes, as you really want to crawl around under it. There is a checklist of places to look out for somewhere, but in short, rear arches, inside the door shuts, under the carpet in the foot well, the very bottom of the frunk under the spare and carpet, check under the side trims and sills if you can, and look up at the front bumper bar lying under the front of the car. Check for the shocks being knackered by leaning on each corner and making sure it returns to level properly, and is worth looking at the clearance between each tyre and the wing/arch (it should be even all round) as I've been caught out by that twice! Might be ok for an engine swap though, but would have thought a tiptop would be the car to go for if your doing a woodsport V6...

Please post an update if you go to see it... Be good to have another mk1 in the Essex area....

rymixxx
3rd January 2012, 08:53 PM
Cheers Paul.

Firstly, I can't wait to own a Mk1 MR2 again! It's been 6 years since my last foray and I miss it immensely. I've had a few fun cars in the interim but nothing matches the feeling I get from a Mk1. I seriously expect to tear up next time I sit in one. For real.

I was being hopeful: debadged deliberately for style, worn leather seats so replaced with the comfier (IMO) fabric ones, ignorant dealer who's selling a rust-free gem for a steal. Probably not, but I will go and have a look on Monday afternoon.

I think the guide you're talking about is this one:
http://www.challoner.com/mr2/tech/mk1bg.html

Brilliant article, helpfully written. I will not be embarrassed to take a print out of this when I go for a look-see and write notes.

One final thing: V6 vs turbo?

Steve

EppingMk1SC
3rd January 2012, 09:23 PM
I would choose either supercharged or V6 over a turbo, just personal preference really. I've never really liked the lag of a turbo compared to the effortless power of a V6 or the instant response of a 'charger. Plus V6's just sound lurvely.

But then my last non Mk1 car was a flat-6 so that proves I don't know what I'm talking about and I never listen to my own advice ;)

P.s I'm currently contemplating a Mk3 Supra to add to my stable of impractical stupidity.

superwhite90
3rd January 2012, 09:30 PM
Not being funny, its in Clacton - I'd stay away from this like the plague!

There are hundreds of cars for sale in the area and most of them have something wrong with them.

My mate lives in Clackers and I have or my motor has spent some time there recently, very iffy dealers and they try to have you over.

rymixxx
3rd January 2012, 09:56 PM
So, a supercharged V6 it is then! If only my wallet agreed.

I previously talked myself out of turbo cars, but if the spinup is quick enough then I love them. I like to feel that I'm working for the power. But I must admit I preferred the pickup of my SC over the Cosworth lump in my Rush. The Rush was insanely quicker, of course, but you had to be so rude with it to get anything out of it.

I have a mental block with the V6. I imagine it performs like a powerful diesel engine. All torque, no revs, quick but unsatisfying. I'm probably talking tosh, but I have this picture in my mind of grumbling along in 5th all the time. But to counter this I much prefer to know precisely how much power I'm going to get when exiting a corner, unlike the turbo lottery you sometimes get.

Really, I need to experience both before I can make up my mind. Are there any meets in the Essex area soon?

Super: the Clacton dealer sounds like a numpty. "Yeah mate, it's mint, come and see it now because it won't be here tomorrow. Nah, no rust on the sills!" I bet he doesn't know what a sill is, and he seems mighty confident of his assertion assuming as I do that he has not removed the skirts to have a look.

EppingMk1SC
3rd January 2012, 10:19 PM
There was a meet just down the road last week! That's where the photo of mine and Kate's car was from... South Weald. I'm in Chelmsford most weekends so happy for any impromptu meet, or just pop round?

Kateg28
4th January 2012, 08:34 AM
Am happy to meet up and I liked the drive to South Weald. Let me know when and where and, assuming I am free, I will be there.

superwhite90
4th January 2012, 08:34 AM
Well if you can find rust you can knock him right down.

Kateg28
4th January 2012, 08:48 AM
Well if you can find rust you can knock him right down.

I hope you mean in terms of price. I read it at first as if you find rust, you can go up and punch him to the ground, which is a bit over the top....

superwhite90
4th January 2012, 10:38 AM
Yes in terms of price we're not that brutal here in Essex - i know we're responsible for the rettendon murders but come on lol

rymixxx
4th January 2012, 07:36 PM
Gah! Shame I missed the meet. I'm away this weekend, but maybe if either or both of you are around somewhere in Essex next weekend? Any excuse for a quick blat!?

I've not sat in a Mk1 since I watched tearily as my new best friend (and, I now realise, worst enemy) drove off in my pride and joy in 2005. In fact, I've barely seen a Mk1 on the road since then. Truly getting rare...

EppingMk1SC
4th January 2012, 07:42 PM
Hi there, can't do the 21st/22nd but might be about the following weekend?

Kateg28
4th January 2012, 07:55 PM
For me the 28th/29th Jan is a no go at all as am involved with organising a big function that evening and clearing up the following day. What about the following weekend? First one in February?

Or 14th/15th Jan?

EppingMk1SC
4th January 2012, 10:06 PM
First weekend in February (4th and 5th) are both free, but I bet it's snowing! Let's put it down as a possible meet and look at the long range weather before?

Hey before we know it it'll be Spring...

rymixxx
4th January 2012, 10:22 PM
Feb 4th or 5th it tentatively is then, great! Looking forward to it.

charged
5th January 2012, 09:43 AM
I have a mental block with the V6. I imagine it performs like a powerful diesel engine. All torque, no revs, quick but unsatisfying.

I'd be inclined to agree with this but I have no experience of driving a V6 converted Mr2, only my 3SGTE conversion. For what is is worth, I used to have a fair bit of lag with my old set up but since converting to REV3 and fitting a charge cooler the power is there with very little lag.

rymixxx
5th January 2012, 10:30 AM
...but since converting to REV and fitting a charge cooler the power is there with very little lag.

I know about charge coolers, but what do you mean by 'convert to REV'? Does a cooler really make that much difference?

charged
5th January 2012, 10:58 AM
I know about charge coolers, but what do you mean by 'convert to REV'? Does a cooler really make that much difference?

Sorry buddy, I meant 'converting to REV 3'. The REV 2 (REvision 2 MR2 Turbo) set up I had before runs an AFM set up and smaller injectors. The charge cooler (Celica GT4 core with marine pump) makes a world of difference, especially as my old intercooler was located on top of the engine and suffered very badly from heat soak.

rymixxx
5th January 2012, 11:03 AM
Sorry buddy, I meant 'converting to REV 3'. The REV 2 (REvision 2 MR2 Turbo) set up I had before runs an AFM set up and smaller injectors. The charge cooler (Celica GT4 core with marine pump) makes a world of difference, especially as my old intercooler was located on top of the engine and suffered very badly from heat soak.

Ah, got ya. My mental spec at the moment is a rev 3 with standard rev 3 intercooler! But I have been reading up on the GT4 charge cooler. I see varying reports as to their usefulness. Useful, I'm sure, but £500 useful? Looking at aftermarket solutions too, but decent ones seem to start at £800+.

It's not for me to say as I done have enough experience, but I've read that the stock rev 3 setup suffers from less lag than rev 2 natively. This is one reason I'm looking at going straight to rev 3.

Way ahead of myself though. Need a car first, then address bodywork, bakes and springs, then the engine...

charged
5th January 2012, 11:24 AM
Ah, got ya. My mental spec at the moment is a rev 3 with standard rev 3 intercooler! But I have been reading up on the GT4 charge cooler. I see varying reports as to their usefulness. Useful, I'm sure, but £500 useful? Looking at aftermarket solutions too, but decent ones seem to start at £800+.

I got my cc core for £75, pre-rad for free and the marine pump for £60 .. most kits go for £150 - £300, I'd recommend a marine pump over the standard GT4 pump. They are apparently good for 400BHP. It's a weird one though, the GT4 boys take off the charge coolers and fit front mount intercoolers, the Mr2 turbo boys remove their side mount intercoolers and fit charge coolers!

Th charge cooler set up I now have over my old interwarmer set up really is night and day difference

rymixxx
5th January 2012, 11:43 AM
Interesting info, thanks. I see a lot of contrasting opinions on this. Really, money will force my hand in the first instance: install a stock rev3 step as per Paul's 'normal' engine swap procedure (assuming he's up for it...I haven't spoken with him for a year!)

charged
12th January 2012, 10:50 AM
Did anyone go and see the car in the first post? A friend of mine may be in the market for a Mk1 for under £1000... I'm wondering if this may be a good one

neiljones308
12th January 2012, 01:06 PM
I might have a light blue 'G' reg Mk1 T-Bar for sale with TAX and MOT and just 95,000 miles for £1000 next week. Any good?

charged
12th January 2012, 02:05 PM
I might have a light blue 'G' reg Mk1 T-Bar for sale with TAX and MOT and just 95,000 miles for £1000 next week. Any good?

Too far away from her really, she wants something local (to Hemel Hempstead) but also may need to px against a micra