PDA

View Full Version : New MR2 owner in Los Angeles

flipflop
6th December 2011, 02:33 AM
Hello Forum!

I'm the very proud owner of a 1986 Mr2. It was garage kept and totally stock when I got it, but it's pretty shiny exterior (and interior) hid the lack of maintenance that was done over it's life. Original coolant in a 25 year old car is NOT FUN!

I've already put some fresh rubber on it, next up will be a complete suspension overhaul and more maintenance before I'll feel ready to start the modding.

I'm also previously a Miata driver, but I can't make a good comparison yet because of the totally worn out suspension in the 2. My Miata had a lot of suspension work and was an amazing driver. I have a really good feeling the 2 is going to be better still.

Pic of said car. Her name is Amber:
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/images/imported/2011/12/photo1-1.jpg

Kateg28
6th December 2011, 10:23 AM
Hello! That is a very tidy car, guess you do not have the problem with salt on the roads liek we do?

Is that a beige colour? I forget the correct name but someone here will know.

It really seems to be in a lovely condition.

daddy dog
6th December 2011, 12:38 PM
hi there, looks a very good condition car,bit too far to come for a meet tho.what mods do you plan on doing?

charged
6th December 2011, 12:48 PM
Welcome along, Amber looks beautiful! Do you see many other mk1s in LA?

Is it my imagination or is that a Red Mk2 Mr2 spoiling your photo in the backround?

flipflop
6th December 2011, 04:42 PM
I believe the color is called light beige metallic. It's definitely not my favorite color (really partial to the dark blue or grey) but when I saw the car for the first time I knew I'd be an idiot to not buy it. The original owner passed away and his daughter was selling it. Unfortunately the odometer is broken but I'm sure it has under 100k miles. $2400 later and it was mine. It still has the original blue license plates, which only makes it more of a time capsule.

No rust, just a lot of worn out parts to be replaced over time. I'll do my best to keep it clean, but I'm a modder at heart and I can't keep it stock. My goals for it are a fully restored suspension with koni's and either TRDs or custom springs. I'm hoping to either get some period specific wheels or some Compomotive MO5s in grey or black. The transmission shows a little 5th gear pop-out wear, and financially the best route is a 20V silver top and a C56 swap :) . I'll just have to cross my fingers that I can find a clueless smog shop that won't notice the slight...change of engine. California is not friendly to non-US EGRless motors :(

I don't see too many other MR2s in my neighborhood but LA is a big place and I'm sure they are out there. I might be across an ocean but I love forums for their information and communities so hopefully I can still give and take some information from here.

superwhite90
6th December 2011, 08:34 PM
That's a beauty!

Looks like it Ollie, though could be a probe?

flipflop
7th December 2011, 05:09 PM
Well I'm official now. :D

The car spent it's life in a garage in the mountains, probably just a fair weather car. No rust, only a few little scratches and dings here and there. I believe they called the color Light Beige Metallic. Not my favorite color by a long shot, but I knew I'd be an idiot if I didn't buy this car. Only cost me $2400!

Once I got the chance to get into the car and do some maintenance, I found the original owner thought he drove it so little it didn't need anything done to it. Unfortunately the odometer is broken so I couldn't even venture a guess. It's got a bit of a 5th-gear wear showing in the shifter but it won't pop out. The cheapest way to get a new C-series is when it's attached to a silvertop 20v :cool:, so I'll probably try my hand at getting that to pass smog at one of the sketchier shops when the time comes. California is terrible with engine swaps, and even worse with engines that were never imported into the US.

Short term plans are a full suspension overhaul, koni's and GCs or complete coilovers. I've found the ONE US distributor for Compomotives, looking at a set of MO 5's in 15x7 in either grey or black. Right now my car is downright dangerous with old bushings and worn ball joints.

Hopefully I can get and share some information with the community here, even from overseas. :D

charged
7th December 2011, 05:29 PM
I believe they called the color Light Beige Metallic.

Offically 'Champagne' I believe, or unofficially jewish racing gold

Get the new suspension on there and a new bush kit, it'll be like night and day.

flipflop
7th December 2011, 06:24 PM
I have to thank you. I unofficially like the color of my car a bit more now. Thanks for the laugh as well haha

Kateg28
7th December 2011, 09:10 PM
It is not a common colour and to some it is quite desirable so that should help you! Not my first choice of colour but the condition of the car far outweighs a cosmetic thing!

flipflop
8th December 2011, 04:33 PM
It seems to be pretty common in the states, at least in California when I was looking. I would have preferred a silver or a white, but like you said color aside the car was a beauty. I didn't really do a lot of looking around in the car when I bought it, just pulled the trigger. It was fun to sit in the car the day after and find "Oh, power mirrors! Oh, factory alarm! Oh, cruise control!" and have everything work.

I had to do some searching to find the information on the factory alarm before I used it, but once I adjusted the entry delay it works great.

My Miata was a bit of a stripper model, so having all these options on a car 10 years older was a pleasant surprise. Now to get my thermostat replaced so the car warms up in less than 10 minutes, and figure out why my TVIS is stuck open. Then she'll be nearly perfect...for now :)

oukie
9th December 2011, 08:05 PM
Hi Welcome Flipflop

Nice mk1, I love California I have had the good fortune to go there a couple of times in the past and I even saw a mk1 when I was in LA also.

@Kate It wont have rust its in California which is known as the sunshine state for a good reason it hardly rains there. hence most cars will be totally rot free.

Chris