PDA

View Full Version : Toyota Sprint Series Co-op car?

smokeejoe
1st December 2011, 07:48 PM
Hello
Have been wanting to take part in the toyota sprint series since i started driving my 2 but don't want to put my car through that kind of abuse, and i can't afford to buy another car by myself.
I was wondering if there is anybody in the Norwich/Yarmouth area that is in the same position and would be interested in buying a car as a joint venture?
Obviously a lot of organising would have to be done for this to work, and i realise this is a long shot but if there is anybody that may be interested please let me know.
Cheers Joe

mr2mk1chick
2nd December 2011, 10:04 AM
TBH your car wont get abused doing the TSS. I mean its hardly pushing what the car was made for. If you consider that they can be hooned around on the limits for a full trackday, a few laps of a sprint wont hurt it! Only if you drive into something does it become an issue, and i think most tracks used arent that risky. I ran into a cone and bent the front splitter, but was easily fixed.
Try it in your car and then make a decision as to whether you need another car to do it to your full potential.
Go to the TSS forums and catch up with Phil Cutler and Vix, as they have been competing in a modified mk1 and an SC for a few years now, and they live in norfolk. they will be happy i'm sure to have a chat with you or maybe catch up at an event.

doing a joint venture can often tuen out to be a nightmare. its easy to work out the splitting costs thing for gettign it ready, but only one name can go on teh V5. also if the car breaks down with one person on a sprint, or is crashed by one, then the other person can help but feel like they are missing out. theres no easy way to share that.

check with the current regs for classes, but i would say to have a chance in a std 1600 class all you need is good suspension, bushes, brakes, and tyres.

heres me on a wet sprint!

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/

charged
2nd December 2011, 04:35 PM
TBH your car wont get abused doing the TSS. I mean its hardly pushing what the car was made for. If you consider that they can be hooned around on the limits for a full trackday, a few laps of a sprint wont hurt it! Only if you drive into something does it become an issue, and i think most tracks used arent that risky. I ran into a cone and bent the front splitter, but was easily fixed.
Try it in your car and then make a decision as to whether you need another car to do it to your full potential.
Go to the TSS forums and catch up with Phil Cutler and Vix, as they have been competing in a modified mk1 and an SC for a few years now, and they live in norfolk. they will be happy i'm sure to have a chat with you or maybe catch up at an event.

doing a joint venture can often tuen out to be a nightmare. its easy to work out the splitting costs thing for gettign it ready, but only one name can go on teh V5. also if the car breaks down with one person on a sprint, or is crashed by one, then the other person can help but feel like they are missing out. theres no easy way to share that.

check with the current regs for classes, but i would say to have a chance in a std 1600 class all you need is good suspension, bushes, brakes, and tyres.

heres me on a wet sprint!

http://www.mr2mk1club.com/

Great pic that Jo! Does look like you are driving in a river though!

Ollie

mr2mk1chick
2nd December 2011, 05:55 PM
It was pretty wet! Interesting on the R888's
I do miss that mk1 :(

smokeejoe
3rd December 2011, 09:05 PM
nice picture, and thats a fine looking car.
I know that there is alot of things to be agreed on before going ahead with it.
If i dont manage to sort anything out by next season i will definetly go and check out a couple of rounds and maybe enter in my current car.
What does everybody do about carrying spares and tools if they are just driving the car to the event and have no support vehicle?

CecilWard
4th December 2011, 02:21 AM
Fantastic shot, you in a canal by the look of it. And a nice car too.

mr2mk1chick
4th December 2011, 08:44 PM
nice picture, and thats a fine looking car.
I know that there is alot of things to be agreed on before going ahead with it.
If i dont manage to sort anything out by next season i will definetly go and check out a couple of rounds and maybe enter in my current car.
What does everybody do about carrying spares and tools if they are just driving the car to the event and have no support vehicle?

My hubby and i used to drive the car pictured to the sprint, and take everything we needed with us in the boot and frunk etc. Take a tarpaulin or suchlike to put all of your stuff in so the car is empty to compete.
If you haven't been to one, i really suggest to check it out first, chat to competitiors etc, BEFORE you buy another mk1. i would also give it a go in your own first to see how youare with pace etc.
also if you havent doen any trackdays or suchlike you will be really off the race pace, but it all depends on what you want to get out of it. i obviously have no idea of your experience. you will get more out of sharing a trackday in your mk1 as you get so much more time behind the wheel - esp open pitlane days. then sprints are so much easier IMO

smokeejoe
5th December 2011, 12:04 AM
thanks for the advice, i took my mk1 to the nurburgring in july but that is the only track experience i have.
Im not expecting to win anything i just want to push myself and car in a safe environment and hopefully have a laugh in the process.
If it develops into a trophy hunting obsession so be it, but for the time being it will just be for fun.

mr2mk1chick
5th December 2011, 11:24 AM
i just want to push myself and car in a safe environment and hopefully have a laugh in the process.
Then if thats the case i would really reccomemd trackdays for that - much more time on track for your money, and you will learn so much more about driving/handling than you would on a sprint. Actually, you would prob develop bad habits on a sprint unless you take a bit of instruction or suchlike. Once you can keep your car on the track on its limits consistenly then have a go at a sprint. you need good track skills to do a good sprint lap.
your std mk1 will be a great start, and rather than spend money on another mk1, just improve your current one IMO.

some of the cheaper trackday organisers are apex trackdays and javelin. go for open pitlane days rather than sessioned. if you want less queues and less cars on the trackday, pay a bit more and go with bookatrack - you get loads of quality time.
most places have instruction, and i would always get some, esp if its a new circuit to you.