PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a car transport company?

31st August 2011, 08:19 AM
Anyone here able to recommend a car transport company to bring an MR2 from BT28 all the way over to Suffolk?

I've just submitted a job request to www.shiply.com and am waiting for quotes to come in.

But if any of you guys have shipped to/from Northern Ireland and have had a good experience with a particular guy, please let me know.

Thanks.

alpha13
6th September 2011, 03:19 PM
would you not be able to drive it over??? the car is certainly good enough.
kate28g did that from down the south over here to back there in her neck of the woods??
probably be cheaper easier and better....not to mention safer as you can keep an eye on the car the whole way...

Kateg28
6th September 2011, 05:37 PM
I did indeed! And it was fantastic, had a great time. All my problems started when I got here and where due to importing as Eire is different country. NI should be easier.

Went with my dad and made a weekend of it. Thoroughly recommend it!
Cost about £300 in the end but worth it.

MR2MK1
7th September 2011, 05:38 AM
Totally agree the best way is to come over and drive it back ,i brought mine over from Birmingham my son and myself flew over and came back on the Liverpool boat it was great fun .
Colin

Kateg28
7th September 2011, 07:56 AM
I wrote my above post on my phone when feeling very ill so just wanted to clarify "All my problems started when I got here".

When I arrived home in leafy Hertfodshire, the car comprehensively failed it's MOT and then took nearly 2 months of work, lots of money and a lot of beaurocracy from our dearly beloved DVLA. None of the problems were due to travelling across, picking the car up and driving home. Fabulous time. Throroughly recommend it.

As for the DVLA, I will be putting a formal complaint into their governing body, remind me again who that is......

Oh, yes, Themselves. law unto themselves. Utterly.

alpha13
7th September 2011, 08:17 AM
I wrote my above post on my phone when feeling very ill so just wanted to clarify "All my problems started when I got here".

When I arrived home in leafy Hertfodshire, the car comprehensively failed it's MOT and then took nearly 2 months of work, lots of money and a lot of beaurocracy from our dearly beloved DVLA. None of the problems were due to travelling across, picking the car up and driving home. Fabulous time. Throroughly recommend it.

As for the DVLA, I will be putting a formal complaint into their governing body, remind me again who that is......

Oh, yes, Themselves. law unto themselves. Utterly.

well hopefully you are enjoying the car fully now kate :) :)

Kateg28
7th September 2011, 09:03 AM
I certainly am Mark! You saw the car the day I bought it and I think you will agree, the problems were all underneath and hidden.

Now all sorted and happy!

alpha13
7th September 2011, 09:35 AM
I certainly am Mark! You saw the car the day I bought it and I think you will agree, the problems were all underneath and hidden.

Now all sorted and happy!

well hidden indeed... but i hope you feel it was worth it now that it is all done :) :) it was a smashing car when you picked it up...sure it is even better now :D

coverco
7th September 2011, 10:01 AM
Easiest and cheapest option is to fly over and drive it back. I have brought loads of cars and bikes back and forth over the years. Either get the Belfast/Liverpool overnight boat which takes about 9-10 hours or if you fancy a proper drive go Larne/Cairnryan or Belfast/Stranraer. These take as little as 1 hour but the drive through Scotland is very pleasant with some fantastic roads, the M6 is not as much fun but you will find out a lot about the car on such a long journey.

scoobyblue
7th September 2011, 10:35 AM
Easiest and cheapest option is to fly over and drive it back. I have brought loads of cars and bikes back and forth over the years. Either get the Belfast/Liverpool overnight boat which takes about 9-10 hours or if you fancy a proper drive go Larne/Cairnryan or Belfast/Stranraer. These take as little as 1 hour but the drive through Scotland is very pleasant with some fantastic roads, the M6 is not as much fun but you will find out a lot about the car on such a long journey.
the drive through ireland isnt bad either , unless you closed your eyes for that bit! :)

coverco
7th September 2011, 11:20 AM
the drive through ireland isnt bad either , unless you closed your eyes for that bit! :)

I was over in NI in April and with the standard of driving I saw keeping your eyes closed when driving in the province is very beneficial :D

There are some nice roads in Ulster however it is so small if you blink you miss it, remember NI is only 110miles wide and 85 miles high just a bit bigger than Yorkshire although there are 3-4 times as many people in Yorkshire :p

scoobyblue
7th September 2011, 01:54 PM
I was over in NI in April and with the standard of driving I saw keeping your eyes closed when driving in the province is very beneficial :D

There are some nice roads in Ulster however it is so small if you blink you miss it, remember NI is only 110miles wide and 85 miles high just a bit bigger than Yorkshire although there are 3-4 times as many people in Yorkshire :p

ever hear the saying about quality , not quantity,think on. you really are starting to irritate with your narrow minded xenophobic attitude towards the irish and personally i wont be having any more to do with your posts or opinions. i dont know what your problem is but whatever it is you should keep it to yourself and let the forum return to those that use it for the purposes that it was designed for. seeya,wouldnt like to beya

mk1 dal
7th September 2011, 02:28 PM
hi , i think you have got the wrong end of the stick here scooby , Tommy is a great funny bloke who likes a laugh and a joke , and he comes from Ireland him self

gary

coverco
7th September 2011, 02:33 PM
ever hear the saying about quality , not quantity,think on. you really are starting to irritate with your narrow minded xenophobic attitude towards the irish and personally i wont be having any more to do with your posts or opinions. i dont know what your problem is but whatever it is you should keep it to yourself and let the forum return to those that use it for the purposes that it was designed for. seeya,wouldnt like to beya

Goodness me this is really incredible, if you look at a post the smileys are supposed to convey the seriousness of that post. It is even funnier for the fact I was born in Downpatrick and brought up in Newtownards so trust me when I say I am not being xenophobic. However the facts are that Northern Ireland is a very small province of the United Kingdom with around 1.5 million inhabitants or do you want to argue about that as well. I was over at easter and the standard of driving (in my opinion) was really poor, especially on the motorway. Now don't get upset but I know you only have 6 according to Wikipedia which is probably why many drivers there have no lane discipline due to lack of practice. This is the reason that historically insurance premiums in Northern Ireland are around 50% more expensive than on the mainland. A lot of people thought the reason for high premiums was the troubles but the insurance companies did not pay out on cars that were blown up the government did, the premiums were high due to the large number of claims per head of population.

I accept that speaking the truth on this forum is normally met with a number of members ganging up on the truth speaker telling them to shut up and the like, however it does not alter the fact that the truth is the truth :D

I don't expect a reply as you are no longer going to read my posts but I bet you read it secretly, enjoy :+:

Kateg28
7th September 2011, 02:58 PM
When I was driving in Eire, we were on a main arterial route into Dublin (on our way to meet Alpha13 - top banana) and we were the only car on the motorway for most of the journey. It became a joke with my dad and I when we did occasionally spot another car. It was eerie......We wondered if it was actually open.

And the signs saying petrol were incredibly misleading and I learnt just how fast the petrol guage on my SC dropped after 1/4 tank. Seat of our pants stuff.

The standard of driving in Eire seemed just fine but then I often drive in Naples and they are nutters on another level. Lovely lovely people but the driving is scary random driving.

coverco
7th September 2011, 03:32 PM
The standard of driving in Eire seemed just fine but then I often drive in Naples and they are nutters on another level. Lovely lovely people but the driving is scary random driving.

It is years since I have driven in Southern Ireland and even though it is a foreign country they have the decency to drive on the left so it is fairly easy :D

I have driven in Milan and I agree with you totally Kate, driving in Italy is on a completely different level of madness :o

7th September 2011, 10:42 PM
Flying over and picking the car up was the prefered option. By far. But I'm just too snowed under with work. :( And being a one-man-band work-wise, it's not even feasible to take the day-and-a-bit off. So it's actually far cheaper to ship it.

I have a friend over in Ballydehob, and hope to one day to explore those wide open Irish roads. :)

coverco
8th September 2011, 07:34 AM
I don't know if it is possible but could the car be put on the Liverpool ferry by the seller without a driver and you fly to Liverpool and meet it off the boat? You should be able to do that in half a day. Not ideal as you would have to let someone drive it on and off the boat without you being there but it may be a cheaper option, I would be interested in knowing how much a transport company would charge (I suspect lots!!).

alpha13
8th September 2011, 08:25 AM
or you have another option?? if you had someone you could trust... you could get them to come over, collect the car a drive it back to you.... it might be a little bit messy, but you would know the car is safe the whole way and nothing will get robbed or that off the car and i suspect it might even be a little cheaper???
just a thought. :D

Kateg28
8th September 2011, 08:30 AM
If only I could spare the time......

Although I do admit, part of the magic was developing a relationship with my car.

alpha13
8th September 2011, 09:04 AM
If only I could spare the time......

Although I do admit, part of the magic was developing a relationship with my car.

heck i might even consider taking holidays and doing it myself to drive that car LOL :) :)

14th September 2011, 08:49 AM
Just a catch up: car is now here (hooray) and it was £275 (from BT28 to IP12) - about the same as I'd have paid for ferry plus flight plus taxis. Even before figuring in my time.

The outfit that moved it was RJ Gilpin: 02838 891621. I gather that quite a few car dealers use them. Eamon MacGlaughlin (sp?) was also highly recommended but was a bit more expensive.

Just hoping the sun stays shining for a few days more!

coverco
14th September 2011, 09:14 AM
That is a really good price, I am quite surprised how low it was. Have fun :D

MR2MK1
14th September 2011, 05:41 PM
Just a catch up: car is now here (hooray)

Glad the car is now with you and i hope you are pleased with your purchase ENJOY
Colin

14th September 2011, 05:46 PM
Glad the car is now with you and i hope you are pleased with your purchase ENJOY
Colin

You bet. Thanks for your help, too, Colin! :)