PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Mk1a Near Side Rear Calliper Urgently

skyblue
7th July 2011, 10:10 PM
Hi everyone, desperately need a 1985 MK1a Rear Near Side Calliper, mine failed the MOT on handbrake not working on rear near side calliper, i've got 6 days left to re-test before I incur further MOT cost's please help !
Telephone: 01743 233947 / 07717 279439 skybluestudios@yahoo.co.uk (Shrewsbury, Shropshire) Car will then be on show at 'Silverstone Classic' Cheers John

paulsims2001
8th July 2011, 05:51 AM
Hi Yes did send you a reply paulsims2001
Regards Paul

Deadly_smell
8th July 2011, 10:22 AM
Are you sure it's the caliper not the cable, the cables do seize within their housing which can cause the same problem, just check underneath and see if the cable is moving when applying the handbrake, if it was the caliper I would have expected it to fail for the efficency of the foot brake as well

skyblue
8th July 2011, 01:20 PM
Hi, when operating the handbrake lever the cable does move a little, although not much

Deadly_smell
8th July 2011, 02:17 PM
Give the cable a tug at the caliper with the handbrake off, you should be able to move it backwards and forwards within the cable sheath it should move fairly easily within the sheath, if I remember right it should have about an inch or two of movement depending on limitations of the handbrake adjustment. The caliper lever the cable is attached too should also move fairly easily although with limited travel as the pads move onto the disc. Also if the bellows is split or broken on the cable at the caliper end it doesn't take long for the cable to seize or go tight.